Thursday, March 03, 2005

"Self-checkouts Were'nt Made for People Like You"

So let me share a little snip-it of my evening with you.

Don't think this is a pickup line or anything, but I got a new bed. So naturally, I went to Wal-mart to get a pillow. While I was there I got a phone call from my mother. She called to say that if I came home without a blanket and a dust ruffle she would not be able to sleep nights.

So after navigating to the homes section of Walmart and easily landing myself a pillow and blanket, I began a frantic serch for a dust ruffle (whatever that is). Finnaly I found one, and still not knowing excatly what it was for, I made my way to the checkout.

Of course, there were about 30,000 Walmart shoppers and 3 cash registers open. So, feeling impatient, I got in the self-checkout line which was signifigantly shorter (and for good reason). I spent the next 45 minuts of my life trying to figure out how to use the damn thing.

I scaned the bathing suit i picked up on my way to the checkout and put it in the bagging area - simple. Next, I scanned the blanket and put it in the bagging area. "BEEP, please place your item in the bagging area. BEEP item not recognized." ...To make a long story short it took the 8 person backup in the line and 2 store clerks to help undo the confusion I caused, and I left vowing to never use the self-checkout again, because as Kate put it, "Erica, self-checkouts just were'nt made for people like you."

When I got home I spent the remainder of the night trying to figure out what to do with my dust ruffle and how to use this new blogger thing.

No comments: