Sunday, August 21, 2005

I wanna rock and roll all nite...

So I was driving down the road with Kelly, and we were doing a little station surfing on the radio, and suddenly I heard....

"I WANNA ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE, AND PARTY EVERYDAY!"

Suddenly I was grinning like a fool, and Kelly asked me what I was so happy about. So I shared with her this random memory:

One weekend in November junior year, before anyone was 21, we were celebrating Jenn's b-day. It was a big occassion, and she invited her cousin from URI. So he shows up with a few friends, and we spend the evening drinking and playing taboo. A few hours later, Kate and I are sitting in a chair, the boys are on the couch, and suddenly someone mentions Jewel and apparently Jenn's cousin was a Jewel fan. Suddenly, Kate and I break out in song...
Who will saaaaaaaaa-ve your soul if you won't save your own?

Cue Ian, "Why are you singing Jewel when there are such better bands, like KISS?"

"I wanna rock and roll all nite!" -Kate and I sing

This little comment instigates an intense discussion on who is better, Jewel or Kiss. Jenn's cousin and Ian went at it for a good 30 minutes arguing the contributions both have made to music. In the mean time, Kate and I sat in the chair on the sidelines, singing songs by the artists.

"These foolish games are tearing me appart"
"I wanna rock and roll all nite...."
"My hands are small I know..."
"I wanna rock and roll all nite...."
"You were meant for me, and I was meant for you"
"I wanna rock and roll all nite...."

Needless to say, we could come up with the words to almost every Jewel song anyone knows, but only one by Kiss, which became a major argument in favor of Jewel. I don't know that the argument was ever resolved, but the picture in my head of Ian and Jenn's cousin arguing, while Kate and I sang in the background is a memory I will never forget! So Kiss or Jewel? Discuss...

4 comments:

ericasue said...

Of course my vote is for Jewel because KISS is "my parent's music." And you know you can't like the same things as your parents, haha.

But I do want to rock and roll all night. And I saw KISS in Bemidji last weekend ;)

Jenn said...

Hmm... I can't say either way. I guess it's probably better I remain neutral either way and just vote for Britney Spears.

Betsy said...

Britney Spears just throws an incredible wrench in the argument!

Kate said...

Jewel because she's so versatile