Tuesday, October 11, 2005

New writing prompt:

What was your favorite class at Salve? Why? Obviously I'm not talking educational value or anything. I'm thinking along the lines of the class that brought you the most amusement and/or was totally ridiculous. Be creative...you're all good at that!

The class that comes to my head right away, 2 of you were actual in with me. And I don't mean and education class with Erica and Jenn. Every freshman had to take moral thinking, and I found myself in class with Erica J and Kate. Only I didn't know them at the time. It was day one of class, Kate hadn't entered our lives yet and Erica J lived upstairs, only I didn't know it at the time. I believe we happened to sit near each other by accident though. Anywho...I walk into class, sit, and in walks the professor. Dr. Cowdin. Well, for an older man, I think you would all agree that he's pretty good looking, leather elbow-patches aside. Besides the not bad looking prof, the mix of students in the class was what really made the class memorable. There was "Jesus", with the dreads. He always had something to say and was ready to play devil's advocate at the drop of a hat. And then there was the girl who liked to argue with "Jesus" and Dr. Hot (as he was affectionately called behind his back by the choir). Everyday she would point out that she was an atheist before making any statement. "I don't believe in God, and I've never looked at a Bible so..." The three of them had interesting conversations. And then there was Tom Valentine. You couldn't get him to shut up. He just liked to hear himself talk...never really had anything valuable to say, but it definitely gave us something to laugh about on the way back to Miley. Once Kate got comfortable, she would speak up too, and always had great things to say. I always admired her for speaking out because I always had something to say, but was still too shy to speak up about how I felt. Funny how things change...

7 comments:

Kate said...

Mmm. I always did love Dr. Cowdin. And Tommy Valentine certainly did drive me crazy. But that class turned out to be my downfall... if you'll recall, it was there we were introduced to Krzysztof Kieslowski's Ten Commandments which became my senior thesis topic. Yeaaaah.

Betsy said...

Or it could have been to your benefit...what else would you have written your thesis on if you hadn't viewed the decalogue?

ericasue said...

YOU STOLE MY ANSWER! Of course I would say Moral Thinking was my most memorable class. I mean come on! There is stuff that started then that we still talk about to this day.

WWTD - What Would Tom Do, coincidentally that was "Jesus's" name also (not Tom Valentine).

And yes I think we just happened to sit near each other at first (I remember sitting behind your long hair) but then after we met in the laundry room we always made a point of sitting next to each other.

I also had that class with Peter and Amanda, the infamous roommates-to-be.

ericasue said...

Now because Betsy already talked about Moral Thinking, I will have to go with Plan B, but it's a tough one.

I should really go with one of my English classes but I'm kind of at a tie there between: London tour with Dean Q-tip head, Advertising with Sanders, Thesis with DHL, or Public Speaking with Myslinski.

Now you're probably thinking "what the hell is she talking about... thesis class? Myslinski???" But those were great classes because of the people.

In these classes I met new friends, learned interesting facts about my peers (sometimes more than I needed to know), partied both domestically and internationally, wore a shirt that said "I am Chlamydia" while handing out condoms to my classmates, got in on the running dept. jokes, and heard Sanders call a woman "dewy" and knew it was intetionally used for the double entendre.

Jenn said...

Gonzo, Dan Leslie, Celeste Sullivan and water in a styrafoam cup, anyone?

Kate said...

yea, that's a close one... i've never felt so 'one' with the ocean as when we trekked all the way down to the Cliffwalk and dumped the styrofoam cups we colored on into the ocean. and THAT is what we left thinking Islam was about. Kudos, Celeste

Betsy said...

Wait...clarification please...did you throw the actual cups into the ocean, or dump something in the cups into the water? I'm going to assume it was the latter because I doubt Islam was about littering.